How can I tell if I have diabetes?

Dr. Stanley Schwartz
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Check sugars at home

If fasting for >8 hours fasting sugar 100-125 is pre-diabetes and 2-hrs after eating 140-199 is prediabetes.
Fasting -126 and higher and 2 hours after eating- 200 and greater is diabetes can get home blood glucose testing equipment over the counter in pharmacies.

In brief: Check sugars at home

Dr. Stanley Schwartz
Dr. Stanley Schwartz

In brief: Really the only

Way to tell for sure is to get blood sugar readings after a glucose challenge (glucose tolerance test), or a 2 hour post prandial blood sugar level also, a blood test for hemoglobin a1c can tell the average blood sugar level for the past few months.
No way to tell without blood tests.

In brief: Really the only

No way to tell without blood tests.
Dr. Robert Uyeda
Dr. Robert Uyeda