How does narcanon differ from other programs, including traditional 12 step programs?

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Its scientology

Narcanon is a trade name for the church of scientology's treatment programs for addiction, which is essentially converting the person to a belief in scientology.
These programs have not been proven in any studies, and there have been allegations made against many of them for unsafe treatment conditions. I would stick with programs that use evidence-based treatments.

In brief: Its scientology

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Kristi Kohl

In brief: Similar

Narc-anon is a twelve-step program and in those respects is very similar to traditional 12-step programs.
It is, however, specifically geared toward drug addicts. For example, they talk about how to handle feelings of restlessness, irritability, and distractibility that may lead to wanting to use drugs.

In brief: Similar

Dr. Kristi Kohl
Dr. Kristi Kohl
Dr. Adam Smith