3 family males including my dad died of skin cancer. Should i ask to be tested for the cancer gene?& what preventative can I do other than sunblock?

Pathology

In brief: Melanoma?

There are a couple of melanoma genes, but ask yourself whether you'd do anything differently based on the results.
You're going to use sunscreen, keep a very close eye on your skin, have somebody special (partner, dermatologist) look at where you can't see, and doing this will probably prevent a skin cancer death.

In brief: Melanoma?

Dr. Jane Steiner

In brief: See a dermatologist

Besides using sunblock or sunscreen with at least an spf of 50 while in the sun, one should use a sunscreen of at least 15 to 30 on a daily basis on all exposed skin.
One should also see a dermatologist for a skin check regularly.

In brief: See a dermatologist