I've recently been diagnosed with depression and I have to take meds but I feel like no therapist understands?

Dr. John Moranville
In brief: They exist
Though therapy is one treatment for depression, the combination of therapy and medication is even better. Ask the doctor who is prescribing the medication for a referral to a therapist who understands that.

In brief: They exist
Dr. John Moranville
Dr. John Moranville
Dr. Christopher Michael
Clinical Psychology
In brief: In early depression
This happens, but some are just so-so therapists.
Even good therapists can sometimes seem out of touch when you feel badly. If you have a good one, give them (& you) some time. Finding a good therapist is not the easiest. Look for the ones who are: secure, caring, hopeful but realistic, & actively helpful while also 'accepting' of your symptoms. If that sounds paradoxical, it is-that's what works!

In brief: In early depression
Dr. Christopher Michael
Dr. Christopher Michael
Dr. Nicholas Nomicos
Dr. Michael is right. There may be times that you don't feel your therapist understands, but as long as that's temporary it shouldn't be a problem. However, if you're unable to develop that trust it may be prudent to find another therapist. It is important to remember that you are ceiling psychologically and that developing a solid relationship does take time.
Dr. Eric Weisman