6 doctors weighed in:

If you have gallstones how long can you go before having to get your gallbladder removed?

6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Fred Levin
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
1 doctor agrees

In brief: Perhaps a lifetime

Only 40% of individuals who have gallstones ever have symptoms which would require having to remove the gallbladder. The other 60% carry them to their graves.

In brief: Perhaps a lifetime

Only 40% of individuals who have gallstones ever have symptoms which would require having to remove the gallbladder. The other 60% carry them to their graves.
Dr. Fred Levin
Dr. Fred Levin
Thank
1 doctor agrees

In brief: It depends on

Multiple factor .
Some of them is repeated gall bladder infection ( cholecystitis , having underlying medical problem , constant pain or other symptoms that interfere with day to day activities and more. If you have porcelain gall stone it has to come out

In brief: It depends on

Multiple factor .
Some of them is repeated gall bladder infection ( cholecystitis , having underlying medical problem , constant pain or other symptoms that interfere with day to day activities and more. If you have porcelain gall stone it has to come out
Dr. Gebrehana Zebro (formerly Woldegiorgis)
Dr. Gebrehana Zebro (formerly Woldegiorgis)
Thank
Dr. Daniel Para
Surgery
1 doctor agrees

In brief: Varies

When you first have symptoms related to your gallstones (pain, bloating, nausea, jaundice, pancreatitis) you need to have your gallbladder removed.
There is no alternative treatment. It is best not to wait until you are sick with gallbladder disease to seek surgical care.

In brief: Varies

When you first have symptoms related to your gallstones (pain, bloating, nausea, jaundice, pancreatitis) you need to have your gallbladder removed.
There is no alternative treatment. It is best not to wait until you are sick with gallbladder disease to seek surgical care.
Dr. Daniel Para
Dr. Daniel Para
Thank
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery
28 years in practice
3M people helped
Continue
111,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors