Is my alcoholism coming from psychological issues?

Dr. Kevin Passer
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Perhaps

People drink and have substance abuse problems stemming from all sorts of reasons.
Without better knowing your situation, it is difficult to ascribe a cause and effect mechanism, but since you asked the question it seems likely that you already suspect at least some of the causes for your condition. You might try aa, check out www.Aa.Org in addition to trying to see a psychiatrist or psychologist.

In brief: Perhaps

Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. David Hunter

In brief: No

People become alcoholics because they like to drink alcohol and lose control over their drinking.
Every alcoholic has a different excuse for drinking, a bad childhood, a bad marriage, a bad job, etc. Many psychiatric problems are worsened by alcoholism, and some people use alcohol in an attempt to self medicate. The first step is always admitting that the drinking is a problem.

In brief: No

Dr. David Hunter
Dr. David Hunter
Dr. Carla Enriquez

In brief: Maybe

Many large studies, including the amer psychiatry assoc suggest alcoholism is a symptom of untreated neuropsychiatric disorders such as depression, adhd, anxiety or bipolar disorder.
Longitudinal studies in children with adhd bear this out. See my health files on biederman & faraone work. http://www.ecnp.eu/~/media/files/ecnp/communication/talk-of-the-month/wim%20van%20den%20brink/impact%20of%20.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Natalie Hodge
broken link