Our family has a history of alcoholism, how can I prevent this from happening to my children?

Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine

In brief: Proper nutrition

Alcoholism is a largely genetic condition related to metabolic imbalances that affect alcohol metabolism. Minimizing sugar & avoiding tobacco & caffeine is crucial.
Vitamins b3, b6, b1, c, zinc, chromium & essential fatty acids can be extremely helpful. They need to know that they are probably allergic to alcohol & should avoid it. See "the vitamin cure for alcoholism" by abram hoffer md phd.

In brief: Proper nutrition

Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Luis Villaplana

In brief: Dinner

Please listen to me, as a doctor you don't have to, but as a father of 5, 2 marriages, there is nothing more important to decrease the risk of any substance abuse than having dinner together as a family, and talking the goods and bads of each day.
Talk to any addiction specialist or dea agent. The numbers don't lie. Number 2, tobacco use. The earlier they start smoking, the higher the risk. Pray.

In brief: Dinner

Dr. Luis Villaplana
Dr. Luis Villaplana

In brief: Delay introduction..

...Of alcohol as late as possible.
Age at first alcohol experience is a significant risk factor for alcoholism.

In brief: Delay introduction..

...Of alcohol as late as possible.
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. William Forsythe
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Awareness/counseling

being aware of the problem, as you know, is already being a step ahead.
Proper teaching and counseling, coping, how to deal with and reduce stress, etc all help. Proper support and prevention is key too. Watching for warning signs and teaching these and other less harmful ways to cope are equally important. A good example is very hard to beat.

In brief: Awareness/counseling

Dr. William Forsythe
Dr. William Forsythe