Is the chickenpox vaccine safe? If given in pregnancy, what is risk?

Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology

In brief: Varicella vaccine

The varicella vaccine is a pregnancy category c.
This means animal studies show adverse fetal effect(s) but no controlled human studies or no animal or human studies; weigh possible fetal risk vs. Maternal benefit. With no humal controlled studies, i would not take the vaccine.

In brief: Varicella vaccine

Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Michael Fisher

In brief: Would avoid it

We generally recommend avoiding any live virus vaccine (like varicella) in pregnancy out of caution.
The vaccine is a weakened strain of the wild virus & wild virus infections are known to cause a few problems during pregnancy.Most of the risk to baby comes if you have varicella around the time of delivery. If you test as not immune, I would get the vaccine after delivery & avoid exposures now

In brief: Would avoid it

Dr. Adam Levy