Is it safe to take a Xanax (alprazolam) once while breastfeeding?

Probably ok. Taking a single dose of Xanax (alprazolam) (such as before a medical procedure) usually does not cause any problems, and many healthcare providers recommend that women continue breastfeeding as usual after a single Xanax (alprazolam) dose. Problems are more likely to occur when women take Xanax (alprazolam) on a regular basis because it is transferred into the breastmilk. Xanax (alprazolam) can cause drowsiness and feeding problems in babies.