Will my children become alcoholics after watching me abuse alcohol for years?

Not necessarily. Many studies indicate that there is a genetic component to alcoholism. Being brought up in an alcoholic home can only enhance this risk. Children tend to develop problem solving skills that they have observed in a parent. Taking a drink is not a good example. If you care enough to be concerned, you have already taken a positive step toward sobriety and a better life.
Increased risk. Genetics play a factor, male children of alcoholics have very high rates of alcohol abuse and ependence, and modeling alcohol behaviors doesnt help. But it is not 100% some children of alcoholics stay away from it due to what they saw. But there are other risks, as well - eating disorders, low self-esteem etc. For more on family impact: ttp://cpancf. Com/articles_files/alcoholicparentimpact. Asp.