Ingrown toenail slightly swelling. Should I probe it?

Pain, redness. Swelling and pain along the nail border, sometimes with drainage, indicates an ingrown toenail. If your ingrown nail is infected, you'll likely need antibiotics, and possibly a nail procedure. While waiting to see your doctor, soak the toe 10 min/day in luke warm water and epsom salts, use a small amount of topical antibiotic ointment, and cover with a bandaid. Don't go after it yourself!
No. It is never a wise idea to perform 'bathroom surgery' on yourself. You are likely to be using tools that are not sterile and you could potentially introduce bacteria into the deeper tissues and cause a more significant problem. Seek the treatment of a specialist who can properly evaluate why you have swelling and correct the ingrown toenail.