Acl reconstruction. When will I be able to reach full extension?

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: It take a while

Most likely it need from six month to a year depending your physical therapy program.

In brief: It take a while

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Vishal Shah
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Sooner the better

After acl reconstruction, the goal should be to achieve full extension as soon as possible.
By two weeks after surgery, if you are having trouble reaching full extension we emphasize certain physical therapy techniques and sometimes assistive stretching devices. Achieving early full extension is critical to long-term successful outcome and should be an early priority.

In brief: Sooner the better

Dr. Vishal Shah
Dr. Vishal Shah
Dr. Theodore Shybut
I agree. Achieving full extension one of your early rehab goals. Talk about it with your surgeon and your therapist. You should be more concerned with extension than with flexion early on as it is much harder to re-gain later if you do not get it early on.
Dr. Robert Lupo
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: 6-12 weeks

Although it could take up to 1 year to get full extension most patients achieve full extension in 4-12 weeks.

In brief: 6-12 weeks

Dr. Robert Lupo
Dr. Robert Lupo
Dr. John McDonald
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: ASAP

This should be a priority from day 1 postop.
Hopefully by 2 weeks you have it. It is much harder to get after the first 6 weeks. If you don't get it, you cannot lock your knee straight and your quadriceps muscle always has to fire. This can cause an ache in the front of the knee even after full recovery from surgery.

In brief: ASAP

Dr. John McDonald
Dr. John McDonald
Dr. Ryan Pflugner
Sports Medicine

In brief: Now!

You should work towards full extension as soon as possible after surgery.
I expect my patients to have it by 2 weeks post op, check them again around 4 weeks if they are having problems gaining full extension. If they are having difficulty, i increase the frequency of pt and give them some exercises to do at home multiple times per day to help get the last few degrees.

In brief: Now!

Dr. Ryan Pflugner
Dr. Ryan Pflugner
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery