If I contracted syphillis in my 40's, then can I cure myself or will it get worse?

Dr. Martin Raff
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: See your doctor

The antibiotic to be chosen and the route of administration and dosage and duration will depend upon the stage of the disease and your ability to tolerate a particular drug.
Get treated asap, because late stage syphilis can be devastating. You should not try and treat yourself, and you should also be tested for other stds.

In brief: See your doctor

Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff

In brief: Do not attempt self

Cures ! this requires prompt medical treatment.
Depending on the stage of syphilis, intramuscular of intravenous penicillin is recommended with Doxycycline as a back up for penicillin allergy. Follow-up testing is recommended. You will be tested for other std's at that time.

In brief: Do not attempt self

Dr. Martin Raff
If, however, this is late stage disease, then intramuscular therapy may not be of value.