Ice pack for headaches and tmj?

Dr. Barbara A Majeroni
Ice packs or cool compresses often help headaches and may also ease the pain from tmj.

Dr. Barbara A Majeroni
Dr. Barbara A Majeroni
In brief: Yes but modify
I agree with many of the answers here.
An acute injury to the mandible or face should be iced. I often recommend a frozen bag of peas or popcorn kernels so that the cold can adhere with contours of the face and jaw. Ten minutes on, the 10 off is usually adequate. Don't leave the cold on for too long of a period at a time. Moist heat is usually used for injuries and pain that has lingered.

In brief: Yes but modify
I agree with many of the answers here.
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. James Bates
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial
In brief: Yes and no.
Tmj problems usually respond better to moist heat than to ice.
Moist heat increases blood flow, while ice restricts blood flow to the muscles and the joint. I usually recommend moist heat, but i've had many patients that prefer to apply ice. There is no hard and fast rule, and little research on this topic to depend on.

In brief: Yes and no.
Dr. James Bates
Dr. James Bates
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial
Ice and or heat can make symptoms improve.
Try both. Do whatever feels better.

Try both. Do whatever feels better.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia