If I have an addiction, should I get counseling for my family?

Dr. Vasu Brown
Wound care
In brief: Priority you now
Taking responsibility for your behavior and being open is the first step - you can set an example by doing the right thing for yourself and your family next.

In brief: Priority you now
Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Daniel Cabot
In brief: A family disease
Counseling is needed b/c ways family can help with the disease are often counter-intuitive.
Ie, when an addict asks his parent for money, the parent's intuition tells him giving $ is helpful--but the opposite is true. This would be enabling and perpetuating the addiction. This occurs often in the family dynamics associated with addiction. The family needs to learn new skills so they can help.

In brief: A family disease
Dr. Daniel Cabot
Dr. Daniel Cabot
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine
In brief: They should seek it
Just as your family can not really "get counseling" for you - you have to get it for yourself - you cannot get it for them. If they are motivated to get help for their own issues with your addiction, most treatment programs have family therapists who can help.
But they have to decide that it's what they want. You can be helpful in suggesting it, but you need to focus on your own treatment.

In brief: They should seek it
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Adam Levy