I need some advice on what to do about risk of malaria on study abroad. Permitrhine, netting, mefloquine?

Dr. Eric L. Weiss
Travel Medicine

In brief: Seek expert advice

The good questions you ask fall squarely in the expertise of your local travel medicine provider. He or she is interested in and knowledgable about malaria and insect precautions, routine and travel related vaccines, and food/water precautions and travelers diarrhea, and that is just a start! find your expert online at www.
Istm.Org (see clinic finder).

In brief: Seek expert advice

Istm.Org (see clinic finder).
Dr. Eric L. Weiss
Dr. Eric L. Weiss
Dr. Omega Edwards, m.d.
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Travel Clinic

I would recommend seeing a travel medicine specialist.
They will review vaccination needs, malaria prophylasix, traveler's diarrhea treatment as well as offer expert advice specific to your travel destination. They will also provide you with care after you return home should you need it.

In brief: Travel Clinic

Dr. Omega Edwards, m.d.
Dr. Omega Edwards, m.d.
Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Endemic area?

Consider that the us state department uses doxycyline which is effective in preventing acquisition.
Poor treatment agent, but effective in preventing disease transmission. Safe. Cheap. The other agents mentioned are effective, somewhat more side effects. (my two ambassador patients assigned to african nations have been on it!).

In brief: Endemic area?

Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey