How do I know if I should get my baby medical attention for croup?

Dr. Mark Diamond

In brief: Not the Sound

A classic sound described as a seal bark or dog bark.
Usually worse at nite and 1st thing in the morning.It can be confirmed by your pediatrician. Learn to ignore the sound, but judge the severity by the discomfort of the child.Mild discomfort may respond to steaming the bathroom or a walk outside, more severe breathing trouble needs seen asap in the local er.The root infection is a cold virus.

In brief: Not the Sound

Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Marcus Degraw

In brief: Difficulty breathing

The key is looking for difficulty in breathing.
Loud breathing means very little in respiratory infections, and the real key is how difficult is the children breathing. If the child begins to breath in a "heavy, harder, faster, can't catch my breath" breathing pattern, then you need to seek medical attention asap.

In brief: Difficulty breathing

Dr. Marcus Degraw
Dr. Marcus Degraw
Dr. Julia Sundel

In brief: Breathing difficulty

You should get medical attention if your baby is not getting better with home treatments, is having difficulty breathing, sounds noisy when inhaling (stridor), is using the muscles in between the ribs to breathe (retractions), is turning blue, is drooling or having trouble swallowing.

In brief: Breathing difficulty

Dr. Julia Sundel
Dr. Julia Sundel
Dr. Gerald Mandell
Nuclear Medicine

In brief: If mild

Croup is usually mild illness managed at home.
Help with cool m?ist, placing child near vaporizer.If you do not have a cool mist vaporizer, even a simple humidifier in child’s bedroom may be helpful. Seek ER if cool mist not clearing up stridor in 15 minutes, repeated episodes of stridor or trouble breathing child’s chest or stomach retracting, bluish lips,lethargy,drooling,neck pain,stiffness

In brief: If mild

Dr. Gerald Mandell
Dr. Gerald Mandell
Dr. Janesta Noland

In brief: Daytime symptoms

Croup is generally worse during the night - hormones produced by the body which suppress inflammation are lower at night, resulting in increased swelling in the airway and worsening of croup symptoms.
During the day, inflammation is lower. If a baby has noisy breathing and barky cough during the day when inflammation is lowest, baby is more likely to have trouble at night. See your pediatrician.

In brief: Daytime symptoms

Dr. Janesta Noland
Dr. Janesta Noland
Dr. Cindy Juster