I just had my cast taken off my broken ankle and i'm supposed to walk on it but I can't. Should I use crutches or can I hop?

Dr. Benjamin Taylor
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Give it time

You should be able to walk soon.
Give it time. If the surgeon said you can walk it mean you are safe too but you will likely take awhile to get your balance an strength back.

In brief: Give it time

You should be able to walk soon.
Dr. Benjamin Taylor
Dr. Benjamin Taylor
Dr. Jeffrey Sider
Sports Medicine

In brief: Probably need pt

I would not expect you to walk normally after a cast is removed.
The only good part of cast immobilization is the fracture heals. Unfortunately, the muscles atrophy and the ligaments and tendons become tight from lack of use. You probably need some therapy to correct the above problems.

In brief: Probably need pt

Dr. Jeffrey Sider
Dr. Jeffrey Sider
Dr. Frank Holmes
Sports Medicine

In brief: Crutches/boot

Hopping is never a good answer. After casting, it's usually best to transition to a boot or a very supportive brace with continued use of crutches if still difficult to weight bear or the fracture has not reached a point of adequate healing.

In brief: Crutches/boot

Dr. Frank Holmes
Dr. Frank Holmes
Dr. Andrew DeGruccio
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Crutches

Use crutches, but make sure you are actually trying to walk normal.
When pain reduces, move to one crutch. Use on the opposite side from the fracture. Eventually, you should be able to completely discontinue the crutches. You must let your foot feel the ground each step though.

In brief: Crutches

Dr. Andrew DeGruccio
Dr. Andrew DeGruccio
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine