I have diverticulitis and am currently on a low residue diet. Is coconut milk ok?

Dr. Eric Kaplan
Surgery - Colorectal
If you have diverticulitis, with pain and fever stay on a low fiber diet for 4-6 weeks to allow healing.
If you merely have diverticulosis, then a high fiber diet is recommended and include 80-100 ounces of non cafeinated, non alcoholic fluid per day and this can include coconut milk.

Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Scott Welker
Exactly! I recommend fiber supplements to my patients with diverticulosis (once the diverticulITIS has passed). Also this is a good time to mention that the prohibition of seeds and nuts in diverticulosis is a myth, these foods actually lead to fewer problems and should be encouraged!
In brief: Has good electrolyte
Pure coconut water has good electrolytes, coconut milk has additional fats and carbohydrates, which gives calories, regarding diverticulitis is a disease of western world, infrequently ( rarely ) seen in the developing world where bulk high fiber less processed food is consumed.

In brief: Has good electrolyte
Dr. Addagada Rao
Dr. Addagada Rao
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery