I smoke all the time but can easily quit for weeks at a time, am I addicted?

Dr. Jeff Blixt
Addiction Medicine

While not a typical pattern for someone with nicotine dependence, i would say you are addicted because when you do smoke you do it alot.
And if you can stop why don't you stay stopped, when it is a harmful thing to your body. Also when you stop do other "habits" increase such as excessive eating. Try staying stopped, use patches, gum and or meds if needed. You can do it.

Dr. Jeff Blixt
Dr. Jeff Blixt
Dr. James Gagne

In brief: Probably...

The classic alcoholic rant is, "hey, i'm not an alcoholic.
I can quit whenever i want!" and of course they never do quit. So, knowing nothing else about you or your smoking habit, the most likely answer is "yes!" nicotine is addicting unless you're smoking fewer than five cigarettes a day. Much of the addiction is psychological -- when you stop you feel anxious, depressed, cranky, or fatigued.

In brief: Probably...

Dr. James Gagne
Dr. James Gagne
Dr. Steven Seres