How do I know if I am becoming addicted to my prescription medication?

Dr. Kenneth Adler

In brief: Here are some clues

Do you constantly think about your next dose? Do you repeatedly run out of your medicine early? Do you sometimes lose track of how many doses you take? Do you think a lot about obtaining or taking this medicine? Has anyone close to you suggested that you might be addicted? Does the medicine not help you function the way you used to? These could be clues that you are addicted.

Connect with a doctor for a more personalized answer ›

In brief: Here are some clues

Do you constantly think about your next dose? Do you repeatedly run out of your medicine early? Do you sometimes lose track of how many doses you take? Do you think a lot about obtaining or taking this medicine? Has anyone close to you suggested that you might be addicted? Does the medicine not help you function the way you used to? These could be clues that you are addicted. Connect with a doctor for a more personalized answer ›
Do you have a follow-up question?
A doctor is available for you now!
Advice • Prescriptions • Reminders
Get help now
Do you have a follow-up question?
Send a private chat message for expert advice
Dr. Kenneth Adler
Family Medicine , 32 years in practice
Dr. William Santoro

In brief: Building on dr. a

Do you ever lie about how much you take? Do you go to more than one doctor for medication? Do you fill your prescriptions at different pharmacies? Do you take your medication even when the pain it was prescribed for is not present? Have you ever claimed to lose your medication? These and dr. Adler's questions are good indictions of addiction.

See a doctor now ›

In brief: Building on dr. a

Do you ever lie about how much you take? Do you go to more than one doctor for medication? Do you fill your prescriptions at different pharmacies? Do you take your medication even when the pain it was prescribed for is not present? Have you ever claimed to lose your medication? These and dr. Adler's questions are good indictions of addiction. See a doctor now ›
Do you have a follow-up question?
A doctor is available for you now!
Advice • Prescriptions • Reminders
Get help now
Do you have a follow-up question?
Dr. William Santoro
Family Medicine , 32 years in practice
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Board Certified, Family Medicine