How to get less scared of flying?

Dr. Chris Esguerra

In brief: Support or CBT

If the fear of flying is generally mild, flying with supports (a friend or loved one) can help if possible.
If not possible, you can ask you doctor for a medication that can help calm you. If the fear is moderate to severe (unable to get on a plane, thinking about flying makes you anxious), then cognitive behavioral therapy (8 to 12 sessions) is very helpful to overcome and manage the fear.

In brief: Support or CBT

Dr. Chris Esguerra
Dr. Chris Esguerra
Dr. Mark Reynolds

In brief: Aviophobia

There are three basic treatments for fear of flying severe enough to be classified as an anxiety disorder, systematic densensitization, cognitive therapy and medications.
There is a nice overview at http://www.Guidetopsychology.Com/fearfly.Htm. The severity of your phobia will determine which intervention(s)-your family physician should be able to provide a referral to an appropriate specialist.

In brief: Aviophobia

Dr. Mark Reynolds
Dr. Mark Reynolds

In brief: Conditioning

Go to your local small airport and get an introductory ride in a small airplane with a flight instructor. Tell him of your fear and be ready to be very surprised.
You may even become a pilot. I have thousands of hours in the air as a pilot, however I still hate commercial flying.

In brief: Conditioning

Dr. Douglas Tavenner
Dr. Douglas Tavenner
Dr. Vicken Poochikian