I am a single mom. I felt a big mass in my breast. I got a mammogram done which showed a cyst. I wanted it drained for cancer cell evaluation? Should I go for it?

Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology

In brief: Treating fear with

A surgical or radiology directed procedure cures neither the tendency to form cysts or the scared feeling that causes the question.
Giving reasons will not allay your concern. Age, family history, medication, physical finding and other history could influence, but cyst spiration and cytology each time you get a cyst is wasteful use of resources. You need help, but not cytology.

In brief: Treating fear with

Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Michael Korona
Radiology - Interventional

In brief: Explain

Worries to your doctor and get it aspirated.

In brief: Explain

Dr. Michael Korona
Dr. Michael Korona
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: OK to Drain, but...

...Not for cancer evaluation.
Breast cysts are benign fluid-filled lumps that can appear "overnight" and, when large, can cause quite a bit of pain. While it is not necessary to biopsy these, many women prefer to have these aspirated due to the pain that they can cause. Ironically, we do not routinely send this fluid for evaluation (unless bloody) since they are, by definition, benign.

In brief: OK to Drain, but...

...Not for cancer evaluation.
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Pathology

In brief: Follow MD's advice

It is likely a good idea to have the cyst drained and fluid examined by a pathologist.
Since the question alone does not provide sufficient information, you should follow the advice of your doctor.

In brief: Follow MD's advice

Dr. Adam Smith