Could throat cancer give you an awful taste in mouth?

Possibly. If you have a tumor in the throat/mouth, it could create an awful taste or odor. If this is a new symptom, best to have it checked out.
Signs/symptoms. See oral surgeon or ENT doc if you have any of these symptoms: Persistent mouth sore, persistent mouth pain, a lump or thickening in the cheek, a white/red patch on the gums, tongue, tonsil, or lining of the mouth, a sore throat, hoarseness or feeling that something is caught in the throat that does not go away, difficulty swallowing/chewing.