11 doctors weighed in:

What happens if a child swallows a coin while I am babysitting? Should I call the parents or er?

11 doctors weighed in
Dr. Farhad Sigari
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
6 doctors agree

In brief: ER ASAP

A child swallowing a coin needs to be dealt with immediately, regardless of how the child is acting.
It needs be xray'd to ensure it is not stuck in the in the esophagus or even worse in the airway. This can be seen on a lateral xray. If it is a battery, it needs to be removed immediately! so if it happens, call the parents asap and if the child is having trouble breathing call 911 first.

In brief: ER ASAP

A child swallowing a coin needs to be dealt with immediately, regardless of how the child is acting.
It needs be xray'd to ensure it is not stuck in the in the esophagus or even worse in the airway. This can be seen on a lateral xray. If it is a battery, it needs to be removed immediately! so if it happens, call the parents asap and if the child is having trouble breathing call 911 first.
Dr. Farhad Sigari
Dr. Farhad Sigari
Thank
Dr. Alfredo Garcia
Pediatrics
6 doctors agree

In brief: Foreign body

You should inform the parents immediately.
If the child is choking or coughing, call 911. If the child does not seem to be in distress, stay calm and not get the child anxious or agitated. Then discuss with the parents/pediatrician what the next step is to follow. Oftentimes, smaller coins can pass through the intestines without a problem.

In brief: Foreign body

You should inform the parents immediately.
If the child is choking or coughing, call 911. If the child does not seem to be in distress, stay calm and not get the child anxious or agitated. Then discuss with the parents/pediatrician what the next step is to follow. Oftentimes, smaller coins can pass through the intestines without a problem.
Dr. Alfredo Garcia
Dr. Alfredo Garcia
Thank
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Cindy Juster
Board Certified, Pediatrics
32 years in practice
2M people helped
Continue
108,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors