I want my doctor when admitted to hospital. How can I insist he call the shots? He knows me best.

Dr. Bennett Werner
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: You can't

Sorry. The system is changing.
Many hospitals now have "hospitalist services" who take over when you're admitted. Even in hospitals using the older system, your doctor must necessarily be in an "on-call" schedule since he/she can't be available all the time. Electronic medical records make "hand-off" communications excellent though. I advise that you see your doctor in the office after discharge.

In brief: You can't

Sorry. The system is changing.
Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Bennett Werner

In brief: Live in a small town

If you live in a town large enough to support a full service hospital you will have to accept the system they have to provide care.
Hospital inpatients are increasingly handled by hospital based physicians. Smaller town hospitals may not have made that transition. The era when you could select your doc, hospital, lab, specialist is fading. This is the legacy of HMP's PPO's and government meddeling

In brief: Live in a small town

Dr. Jonathan Jassey