Whats an academic hospitalist?

Dr. Dean Giannone

In brief: Hospitalist.

A Hospitalist is a hospital-based Internist.
A specialist in the acute management of a hospitalized patient. An academic Hospitalist would be one that serves a teaching role at a university hospital, contributing to the education of medical students and residents.

In brief: Hospitalist.

Dr. Dean Giannone
Dr. Dean Giannone
Dr. Gutti Rao
Internal Medicine - Hospital-based practice

In brief: Teaching

An academic hospitalist usually associated with a teaching hospital or an university, where he also teaches residents and fellows in addition to his clinical responsibilities.

In brief: Teaching

Dr. Gutti Rao
Dr. Gutti Rao
Dr. David Mcadams

In brief: Me!

I am an academic hospitalist at UPMC! In addition to seeing patients in clincial practice, most academics are involved in teaching (medical students, residents, fellows, nurses, etc), clinical research, and administrative hospital duties.

In brief: Me!

Dr. David Mcadams
Dr. David Mcadams