Why is there so much controversy about home births?

Dr. Luis Gonzalez

In brief: No regulation

Regulation and standards of care are the missing link in this practice.
Except for certified nurse midwives, most midwives don't need a state license or certification. Normal labor develops in a delicate balance the may require interventions only possible in hospitals. Naturally, no one complains when the outcome is good for both mother and child.

In brief: No regulation

Dr. Luis Gonzalez
Dr. Luis Gonzalez
Dr. Cristina Carballo
Pediatrics - Neonatology

In brief: Multiple reasons

Home deliveries are not properly monitored.
Unforseen complications can occur that in an instant can cause deleterious effects to the baby and/or mom resulting in permanent disability or death. In my humble opinion, the only thing that should be delivered at home is pizza or chinese food.

In brief: Multiple reasons

Dr. Cristina Carballo
Dr. Cristina Carballo