Why do arranged marriages last?

Dr. Arthur Ciaramicoli
Clinical Psychology
In brief: Arranged Marriages
Possibly because people give themselves time to discover what is lovable about their partner as they have committed themselves to each other so why not try to discover what is lovable about your life long partner.

In brief: Arranged Marriages
Dr. Arthur Ciaramicoli
Dr. Arthur Ciaramicoli
Dr. Sherry Broadwell
Clinical Psychology
In brief: A bit of data
Interesting research, and it appears to depend on the culture.
Across multiple studies, Indian spouses in arranged marriages report greater satisfaction than do spouses in partner selected marriages. But, this effect depends on duration. Newlyweds in partner selected marriages were happiest while over longer durations, those in arranged marriages reported greater happiness.

In brief: A bit of data
Dr. Sherry Broadwell
Dr. Sherry Broadwell
2 comments
Dr. Sherry Broadwell
Couples in arranged marriages may have modest expectations, and thus, be more prepared for problems that arise and/or be pleasantly surprised by the emerging depth of feeling that emerges as they build a life together. It is also possible that individuals in partner selected vs arranged marriages have different standards for what it means to be happy in a marriage.
Dr. Sherry Broadwell
Finally, it is important to note that arranged marriage is not synonymous with forced marriage. Certainly, there are parts of the world where children and women are forced into marriages against their will, but often in arranged marriages the feelings of the parties involved are considered. Also, love is not necessarily absent in an arranged marriage. It just doesn't form the foundation.
Pathology
In brief: Is that so?
This isn't science.
Arranged marriages take place in traditional societies in which women aren't free (law, economic oppression, lack of education) to get out of a bad marriage. Nothing's guaranteed in any marriage, but I'd urge you to look at other variables before you decide that arranged or even forced marriage "in which love may emerge over time" is the best option.

In brief: Is that so?
This isn't science.
Dr. Videh Mahajan
In brief: Marriages
I guess because they are arranged.

In brief: Marriages
I guess because they are arranged.
Dr. Videh Mahajan
Dr. Videh Mahajan