What is the wrong thing to say to a fertility couple that cannot get pregnant?

Dr. Khurram Rehman
Fertility Medicine
In brief: I had no problems ..
Telling them how you had no problems conceiving.
Infertility is tough when pregnant women and babies are all around, magazines show pregnant celebs even at "age 48", and 16 year olds with unplanned pregnancies get their own 'reality' show. Support and encouragement go a long way. I hope that they are also seeing a fertility md. Many who need help don't seek it, but treatment works for many couples.

In brief: I had no problems ..
Dr. Khurram Rehman
Dr. Khurram Rehman
Dr. Nancy Durso
I agree. Encourage them to seek help from a fertility specialist. Studies have shown that the biggest thing that people wish they had done differently is seek care from a specialist sooner. Other things you shouldn't say are - "Just relax and it will happen", "Why don't you adopt? It will help you conceive naturally."
Dr. Michael Opsahl
Fertility Medicine
In brief: Many things
Infertility is a personal and sensitive problem. In my experience, we face a constant challenge of trying to deal with the medical aspects while also being careful to remain attuned to the individual sensitivities.
I think that a good provider will offer compassion and caring but also truthful, factual and evidence based advice. Only telling someone what they want to hear does not help either.

In brief: Many things
Dr. Michael Opsahl
Dr. Michael Opsahl
Dr. Adam Levy