What do doctors say when they tell a family the baby has anencephaly>?

In brief: Hopefully,the truth
The difficulty of transmitting this info to the parents is much less than the sadness & loss the parents will feel when they get the info.
Pregnancy is one of life's gambles & up to 4% have an unexpected event after delivery.Accurate information on how/why/recurrence risks are all part of the problem management. Either the OB or a geneticist /counselor should fill in the blanks.

In brief: Hopefully,the truth
2 comments
Dr. Allen Seely
I did Obstetrics and making THIS diagnosis was one of the most difficult to tell parents. I made the referral to perinatalogist for the very NEXT day!
Dr. Walter Kobasa
Fortuately with advances in ultrasound the diagnoses gets picked up much earlier. Years ago, they usually were picked up at delivery.
Dr. Shontae Buffington