My son did not get pain relief for circ 20 years ago. Was I a bad mom?

In brief: That was the routine

Up until about that time they never did.
The early use of any local anesthetic,injected to numb the penile nerve, was met with concern.What if the penis never worked right when they grew up? Over time,the experience of other docs led the way to the practice now.But I recall a doc asking me not to do so for his kid after I did so routinely.He doesn't remember it.If he's acting odd, that didn't do it

In brief: That was the routine

Dr. James Wolfe
Pain Management

In brief: Who would know?

An event 20 years ago did not have nearly the impact on your child as the subsequent 20 years of parenting.
Talk to your son. By the age of 20, he has some idea of your parenting, if he chooses to share it.

In brief: Who would know?

Dr. James Wolfe
Dr. James Wolfe
Dr. Steven Hill

In brief: Usually did not

I think most of the time children received little if any pain relief except for tylenol (acetaminophen) at that time.
It was certainly uncommon to receive a numbing agent at the time of circumcision. I doubt your child holds a grudge and it is probably not a big issue.

In brief: Usually did not

Dr. Steven Hill
Dr. Steven Hill
Dr. Cindy Juster