What is shunning?

Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: Social rejection

Shunning is an act of socially rejecting someone, and is generally done by a group.
It can be formal, as with a church towards a member felt to be acting against its dogma. It can occur with other communities also. There is avoidance of contact, and turning away from the person -- even to the point of not looking at him or her. Depending on circumstances, this can be very upsetting.

In brief: Social rejection

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Sadly, I've seen this done to people by authoritarian churches. When it happens, Dr. Pappas, I hope that the victim -- and these are true victims -- will have someone wise and good like yourself as a resource.
Dr. Aaron Milstone