Why doesn't my doctor want me to have this baby with trisomy 18 if I have bad heart?

In brief: Simple for some
Review your data.
Pregnancy has increased risk to your life. This pregnancy will produce a baby with no chance of long term survival. The pragmatist would argue that you should not risk your life/health for this outcome. The ethicist would ask u to factor in your religious/spiritual views & decide. Your OB is driven to keep you alive to try another day if you decide to.

In brief: Simple for some
Review your data.
Dr. Kristen Stuppy
In brief: Complicated
Babies with trisomy 18 have many complications and tend to either die shortly after birth or have many serious medical and developmental problems.
If a pregnancy with your heart condition puts your life at risk too, the doctor might be advising based on the risks to both of your lives. This is a complex issue that will take soul searching to determine where you stand on life and death.

In brief: Complicated
Dr. Kristen Stuppy
Dr. Kristen Stuppy
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology