What do you do if you have generalized anxiety disorder and are terrified of taking prescription meds?

Get in Psychotherapy. That is the central element of gad treatment; meds are not necessary, they are just helpful at times in bringing down the intensity of the anxiety, while the exploratory therapy is underway; however, if you're that terrified of the meds at this time and would rather do it without, then you definitely can (it may be harder but doable); nothing wrong with changing your mind either... Good luck.
Get therapy. Get a good therapist. Therapy itself can be beneficial and a good therapist will help you decide if you need medications in addition to therapy.
Work with a . Psychiatrist who understands your fear. And, strongly consider hospitalization so that you can feel safe knowing there is a nurse available to you 24/7.