How long does it take for a torn ligament or tendon to heal in the upper to middle of the back? Bad motorcycle accident on 8/17/2013. Hit by trooper!

Dr. Holly Maes

In brief: Months

It can take a long time to heal torn ligaments, especially in areas like the back that you really can't give full rest to.
Think of football players that get turf-toe and it bothers them the entire season - it's very similar. I would highly recommend physical therapy if not doing it. Can help you with alternative ways to sit/move/lie to reduce stress on that area of back.

In brief: Months

Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine