When a patient should consider a second opinion in treatment for bipolar disorder?

Dr. Robert Stewart
Clinical Psychology

In brief: A second opinion

Is always okay. If you don't have confidence in your doctor or your treatment is not working, check with another doctor. If it is just that you don't like the diagnosis, talk to your doctor about that.
Even then, a second opinion might help reassure you that the diagnosis and treatment are correct. Staying with medication and psychotherapy is usually essential for bipolar dis.

In brief: A second opinion

Dr. Robert Stewart
Dr. Robert Stewart

In brief: Not doing well

In my practice, i recommend a second opinion for my bipolar patients when, after a certain period of time, they are not fully well.
They may be having side effects, not getting full remission, having residual symptoms, or not certain of the diagnosis. I am always willing to get another expert opinion if my patient is not well. Your psychiatrist should be fine with that.

In brief: Not doing well

Dr. Alan Koenigsberg
Dr. Alan Koenigsberg