Can a lung cancer patient be active in a competitive sport?

Depends. The level of physical activity will depend on the general health and pulmonary function. If the person is otherwise healthy, there is no reason to curtail activity.
Yes. If a patient has had surgery to remove part of their lung to treat lung cancer, often they can return to competitive sports. Pulmonary endurance however may be less than before the surgery. Minimally invasive surgery has hastened return to work and other activities of daily living.
Yes. They would certainly be at a disadvantage since treatment might include removing part of the lung, radiation damage to the lung, and/or side effects of chemotherapy.