Blurry/distorted vision then bad headache? Should I just use migraine meds?

Not necessarily. Although these symptoms are consistent with migraine with aura, they can be caused by a lot of other, more serious things. It is really best to see a doctor to have any new onset headaches evaluated before just assuming they are "migraine.".
Common migraine. When you get the blurred vision that is followed by the "sick headaches" you should take your prescribed migrain medication. Most are oral or taken under the toungue but take time to take effect. Promptly taking your medication can not only lessen the duration and the intensity, but can also prevent the rare complications for some migrainers. If these meds are inneffective certainly, see your doc.