7 doctors weighed in:

Belly button ring problems. Is itching and slight wetness an allergy to the ring?

7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Paul Carter
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
3 doctors agree

In brief: Nickel allergy

Metals such as nickel can cause a contact dermatitis.
Nickel is frequently used as a hardener for metals in jewelry.

In brief: Nickel allergy

Metals such as nickel can cause a contact dermatitis.
Nickel is frequently used as a hardener for metals in jewelry.
Dr. Paul Carter
Dr. Paul Carter
Thank
Dr. Javier Chinen
Pediatrics - Allergy & Asthma
2 doctors agree

In brief: Likely

Allergy to metals is relatively common.
The most frequent is to nickel, present in metal buttons and belt buckles. Removing the ring should result in relieve of symptoms.

In brief: Likely

Allergy to metals is relatively common.
The most frequent is to nickel, present in metal buttons and belt buckles. Removing the ring should result in relieve of symptoms.
Dr. Javier Chinen
Dr. Javier Chinen
Thank
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
1 doctor agrees

In brief: Allergy or infection

Drs. Chinen & carter are right about nickel allergy.
Another possibility is an infection. Belly button piercings have higher infection rates than other piercings - probably because of location and constant friction with overlying clothing. Whether infection or allergy the safe & right thing to do is remove the ring now.

In brief: Allergy or infection

Drs. Chinen & carter are right about nickel allergy.
Another possibility is an infection. Belly button piercings have higher infection rates than other piercings - probably because of location and constant friction with overlying clothing. Whether infection or allergy the safe & right thing to do is remove the ring now.
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Thank
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Steven Seres
Board Certified, Internal Medicine
18 years in practice
497K people helped
Continue
108,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors