Autism and leaky gut syndrome relationship or just hype?

Science support. There are many reputable physicians who hold to the concept of leaky gut syndrome. However there has not been consistent data supporting treating the intestinal problem and an improvement in autism features.
Sponsored Fraud. Dr Wakefield & associate lost their MD license after their fraud was revealed at trial. Selecting pts sent by attorneys, then faking their results for big bucks, fed the anti vaccine culture. Now his fraud has led to> 20 deaths/yr in the US alone mostly in infants due to lingering fears he alone created. The licensing fees alone he expected to get from a fake test he proposed was >>millions.
Unknown. Many people believe that autism results from something bad getting into the body, and a "leaky gut" might let that happen. Treatments designed to improve bowel integrity have not altered the disease, but that may because the damage is already done. Personally, I am skeptical; but, definitive research still is needed. At most it might be *a* cause; it's not *the* cause.