What causes low oxygen levels in the elderly?

Dr. Nestor Del rosario
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Other diseases

If you ask me what causes low o2 in a perfectly normal and healthy elderly it makes a difference.
There is an alveolar to arterial ratio that changes with age, and o2 is lower in elderly by this notion alone but no to point of hypoxia. There is such thing as senile emphysema by age alone, with the changes like that of the skin. See the compressibility of finger as the machine could restrict pulse.

In brief: Other diseases

Dr. Nestor Del rosario
Dr. Nestor Del rosario
Dr. Azmat Qayyum
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: Same as adults

Any disease which can cause low oxygen saturation in adults will do in elderly.
Pneumonia. Sepsis from any other infection heart failure bronchitis and atelectasis. Needs evaluation.

In brief: Same as adults

Dr. Azmat Qayyum
Dr. Azmat Qayyum