Does genetics play a role in developing a brain tumor?

Yes. In certain brain tumors, genetic mutations have been discovered. Some of these are 'passed down' from parent to child. Others are new and spontaneous. There are many different types of brain tumors, both benign and malignant. Each has its own unique genetic risk.
Yes, for some. There are certainly some families with genetic errors in their dna which lead to brain tumors in some family members. Some of the genes known to be involved in these genetic tumor syndromes include the p53 gene and the hsfn5/ini-1 gene. The genes for neurofibromatosis types 1 and 2 when mutated or deleted also lead to certain types of brain tumor. Most brain tumors are not inherited, however.