I just took a bipolar spectrum disorder and was wondering. How does bipolar disorder affect me and the people around me and can you it be controlled?

Don't self diagnose. I agree with dr. Cho, just want to add... Make sure that you don't diagnose yourself. Bipolar disorder is serious and needs to be treated seriously. Sometimes people think they are bipolar because they are moody or are going through something. Bipolar is different. But if you or someone you know is having trouble with moods, you can get good treatment for that as well. Best wishes.
It can be treated. I assume you mean that you or someone you know was diagnosed with bipolar d/o. Left untreated, it can wreak havoc in your life and those around you. Peopl with this disorder tend to be very impulsive and feel invincible. It is a treatable disorder. Please see your mental health specialist for further evaluation and treatment. He or she can go over treatment options including meds with you.