Have open angle glaucoma in 1 eye & may switch from travatan to cosopt. Will side effects of cosopt be less because I only need it for 1 eye?

Probably yes. One eye treatment with Cosopt at twice daily with punctal occlusion should have less systemic absorption than both eyes twice daily. Ordinarily if you are healthy without pulmonary contraindications (asthma, copd) or heart contraindications ( heart block, sick sinus syndrome) or other ( major depression ) or sulfa allergy just to name some, then you should tolerate well. It does sting a bit.
Only your eye doctor. Has all the necessary data about your glaucoma to be able to assess risks and benefits of the different eye drops esp in the setting of your overall medical health. If you wish to have another opinion find someone fellowship trained in glaucoma.