I have t.B. But it is inactive and I took my preventative meds already.Can it ever become active even though I have taken the preventative meds?

Michael Erickson
General Practice

In brief: It's Possible

If you have granulomas, then these are "walled off" nodules of the mycobacteria.
This is your immune system keeping the infection in check. Your medications also assist with this, but a compromised immune system can lead to activation of the infection again. As long as you stay healthy, the risk is significantly lower. If you are concerned, discuss this with the dr that prescribed you the meds.

In brief: It's Possible

Michael Erickson
Michael Erickson
Answer assisted by Michael Erickson, Medical Student
Dr. Dominic Riganotti
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

You can always become re-infected.

You can always become re-infected.
Dr. Dominic Riganotti
Dr. Dominic Riganotti
Dr. Tom Harrington

In brief: Preventative TB meds

If you took the treatment as prescribed and it was a long time you will probably be very safe.
However if in the future your body gets compromised ie gets cancer, HIV etc there is always a chance of concern. A f/u chest xray in the setting of any prolonged cough would be recommended.

In brief: Preventative TB meds

Dr. Tom Harrington
Dr. Tom Harrington
Dr. William Forsythe