Should lisonpril hctz (hydrochlorothiazide) be discontinued if I have had diarrhea since i started taking it 7 days ago. Blood test shows dehydration and elevated co2.

Dr. Jack Rubin
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis

In brief: Diarrhea and meds

If you had diarrhea (d), your co2 would be low due to loss of alakli in your stool.
Neither lisinopril/ hctz (hydrochlorothiazide) (l) are known to cause diarrhea. If you had d for 7 days, you need to contact your physician (p) or go to the er. I would stop your l, as your blood pressure would be low due to fluid loss seen with d. Is your potassium low? What fluids are you ingesting? Call your p or go to an er for help.

In brief: Diarrhea and meds

Dr. Jack Rubin
Dr. Jack Rubin
Dr. Olivia Liao
Ophthalmology

In brief: Yes and you should

Contact your prescribing doctor so that another medication can be used instead to control your blood pressure.
Hydrate with gatorade if possible.

In brief: Yes and you should

Hydrate with gatorade if possible.
Dr. Olivia Liao
Dr. Olivia Liao
Dr. Steven Seres