What is the relationship of simvastatin that dentists us it for the treatment of gum disease?!

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry

In brief: Not standard of care

Simvastatin is in a class of drugs known as statins and a lipid-lowering agent that is used to lower cholesterol levels.
Some studies report statins also reduced inflammation associated with gum disease which suggests that steps taken to reduce gum disease may also reduce inflammation in the arteries ; vice versa.The effects are minimal at best ; other more definitive treatment is standard of care.

In brief: Not standard of care

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Jerry Hu
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Using it?

If your cholesterol and overall cardiovascular health are improved, there can be some benefits with inflammatory response, but for 'gum' and periodontal health, the best would be to see your dentist/hygienist for routine scale, root plane, cleanings, etc.
To remove tartar/ plaque, or high bacterial loads.

In brief: Using it?

Dr. Jerry Hu
Dr. Jerry Hu
Dr. John Francis
Dentistry - Periodontics

In brief: Inflammation

Gum disease is an inflammatory disease caused by bacteria under the gums.
Simvistatin is shown to decrease certain inflammatory mediators in gum cells. I don't think it will change the fact that you will still need the normal periodontal treatment. Simvistatin alone won't cure gum disease.

In brief: Inflammation

Dr. John Francis
Dr. John Francis

In brief: None

There is no connection that i know of.
But of course, there may be some new discovery that I have not heard of. Why don't you ask your doctor: " how can a cholesterol-lowering medication like simavastatin (zocor) help my gum disease?".

In brief: None

There is no connection that i know of.
Dr. Fernando Juliao
Dr. Fernando Juliao
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine