What can I do to drain fluid from my ear?

Dr. David Kam
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Middle ear effusion
If it is related to a cold or allergy, take otc antihistamine/decongestant.
You should see your doctor first to confirm the effusion before treatment.

In brief: Middle ear effusion
Dr. David Kam
Dr. David Kam
Dr. Yash Khanna
In brief: Fluid in Ear
You mean fluid in middle ear.Serus fluin without infection can accumulate in the middle ear due to blockage of eustacian tube.
It is diagnosed by looking into your ear with an otoscope and confirming with tympanometery, without any evidence of infection.You can try over the counter decongestants like sudafed in correct doses and for maximum of four days you can use afrin (oxymetazoline) like nose spray, oe rx frommd.

In brief: Fluid in Ear
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Farhad Sigari
Along with sudafed, your primary MD can perscribe a nasal steroid or nasal antihistamine that will also help. The response time is a couple of weeks. Please dont use the afrin more than 3-4 days in a row- you can get hooked on it...very hard to get off of it after.