I have recently started running and have developed knee pain, especially behind my left knee. I've stopped running but what else can I do?

Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management
In brief: Strengthen
quadriceps muscles and tape your kneecap based on the direction it goes when your walk or run.
This can be accomplished by seeing a sports training physical therapy program. If this isn't helping then consider evaluation by an orthopedic sports medicine specialist.

In brief: Strengthen
Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Yash Khanna
In brief: PAIN in Knee
If you never ran before and suddenly started running, then it can cause pain in the knees.
You did not say how long strech you run and what speed.You should let the knee get better, you can take Motrin or Aleve (naproxen) for the pain.Then start at a slower pace and smaller distance and gradually increase the speed and the distance .I am presuming your knees were normal without any abnormality prior to running.

In brief: PAIN in Knee
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Chad Boomershine
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Get new shoes
The wrong shoes can cause knee pain when you run.
I was also having knee pain when i ran. I went to an orthopedist (a doctor who specializes in joint problems) and had a normal workup including an mri. I went to a good shoe store and they determined i was overpronating. They recommended an asics running shoe for overpronators and the knee pain went away. A local running shoe store can fit you.

In brief: Get new shoes
Dr. Chad Boomershine
Dr. Chad Boomershine
Dr. John Goldman
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Need evaluation
Pain behind the knee needs clarification.
Is it tender to touch? Is there swelling? Have you had an examination, imaging including x-rays, etc having stopped running you need to know why you had to stop. It is wise to stop until clarification but there can be other exercises such as quadriceps exercises that you can do. Since you started running you may have done too much too soon.

In brief: Need evaluation
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine